Are you looking to build your own website? If your answer is “Yes”, You have come to the right place. Here in this article, I’ll guide you through “How to create a Free WordPress Website”?
There are so many ways to create a Website, Some of them need coding Knowlege and Some needs to be paid. But, here I’ll only focus on wordpress.org, which is free and easy to use.
WordPress is an open source, the most popular and widely used free CMS (Content Management System). Other popular content management system are Joomla, Drupal, Magneto.
WordPress has 1000’s of free themes (temples) and more the 53 thousand free plugins which make it better than other CMS.
It is highly customizable which allows users to create and modify layouts as per their needs.
Before WordPress became a popular CMS for website development, it was developed for non-tech bloggers. So, most of the user-interface components are easy to use with simple drag and drop.
Most Popular Content Management System
Though It has Limitation too, If you don’t have the coding knowledge you will be dependent on those free themes and plugins only.
WordPress also has a paid version which is wordpress.com, but here I always mean wordpress.org. I know it’s a bit confusing for the beginners, but trust me you will get used to it.
What is The Difference Between WordPress.org and WordPress.com?
WordPress.org, It is a self-hosted WordPress, It is an open source software that anyone can download and use however they want. All You need to have is to purchase your own web hosting, a domain name, and have full control over everything.
WordPress.com has a paid service. It hosts your site and handles everything for you. It offers Services which includes Hosting, Security, Backup and more.
Follow these three steps to Create a Free WordPress Website.
I have divided this into three different steps, and I’ll walk you through everything from start to end. Just follow along with the instructions, and you’ll have a very professional looking website in the end.
Step 1: Get You domain and Web hosting
In order to set up your Site, You will need two things.
WordPress itself is a free platform. But, you need to pay for a domain and Web hosting. A domain name generally cost $10/year and a web hosting plan starts from $7/month. Here I would recommend Bluehost, Bluehost is one of the best host providers around the globe and It offers a free domain and free SSL certificate with every web hosting plan.
Follow these steps to Get your web host.
- Go to the Bluehost Website.
- Choose Your hosting plan. My best advice is to go with Plus plan Because it allows us to host unlimited website within the same hosting plan.
- Moving to the next step, it will ask you to enter your domain or Regester a new domain.
Basically, I’ll recommend going with (.com, .org, .net domain extensions or Your country specific domain like .us, .ca, .in, If You have a local business). You can also choose the option ” I have a domain name” If you already have a domain.
- Once You enter your domain, It will take you to the next screen.
- Fill out the account information, Choose the account plan under the package information option.
Uncheck the SiteLock Security, Codeguard Basic under package extra option if you don’t need it.
- Now, You are ready to Make a payment. Enter your payment information, Accept the Terms and Conditions and Click on Submit.
Once payment is done, You will be able to create your password. Using that password You’ll be able to login to the Bluehost account.
Now, You have a Domain and Web host, Let’s move to Step #2.
Step 2: Set up Your Cpanel and Install WordPress
Before we start installing WordPress, There is one thing very important for them who have chosen the option “I have a Domain Name” in the step#1.
If your existing domain is registered on Bluehost, then you can skip these steps and can proceed to install WordPress.
But, If you have used the domain which is registered on other registrars like Godaddy, NameCheap, BigRock…etc, You need to change Nameservers pointing to Bluehost.
To change the Nameservers, Follow these steps:
- Go to the Registrar’s Website. Here I’ll take GoDaddy as an example. For other registrars, Options may vary, but processes are the same.
- Login to Your Godaddy account.
- Once You log in to your Goddady account, It will take you to the My Product page.
- Click on DNS option under your domain name.
- Once You click on DNS, It will take you to the DNS Management Page.
- Inside DNS Management Page, You will find an option to change Nameservers.
- Click on change.
- From the drop-down menu Choose the option Custom and change the Nameserver to ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com
Now, You are ready to install WordPress If you have followed the above steps correctly.
Install WordPress on Server
Generally, There are three possible ways to install WordPress.
The most preferred and Safest methods are One-click Installation using cPanel and FTP. So, I will discuss both of the methods.
Manual Installation using cPanel/File Manager is the least preferred method, So I’ll be skipping this method.
Method 1: One-click Installation Using Cpanel
One-click Installation is one of the easiest methods to install WordPress. Almost every hosting company has this One-click installation method.
Follow these steps to install WordPress:
- Log in to your Bluehost account.
- Go to the cPanel option.
- Look for the Install WordPress option in the Website section and click the Install WordPress.